Our Digital Technologies program supports the school vision of being a World Class School. Through providing our students with access to up to date technology, learning and teaching that encompasses 21st century skills and engaging and personalised learning programs, we aim to equip our students with the skills they will require to be confident and capable digital users now and into the future.
Students in Prep to Year Two will access a range of technology provided by the school. These students will not be required to bring any technology from home.
Students in Years Three to Six will access iPads in the classroom. Parents of students in these year levels can choose from one of the following options that are aligned to DET Policy and supported by the State Education Fees Matrix.
1. Purchase an iPad for your child to use. The device must support an iOS14 operating environment. If purchasing a new iPad we recommend an iPad 10.2 inch, 8th generation or higher, Wi-Fi with recommended capacity of 128GB. iPad Minis are not supported in the EQ environment. Parents will need to purchase the apps required for each year level, provide a sturdy case & screen protector. We also encourage parents to purchase iPad insurance or AppleCare+ for BYO iPads. Students will access the internet via school WiFi only. Devices with 4G capability will require the SIM card to be removed.
Note re age of iPads - It is recommended that iPads should not be greater than five years old. It is essential that the iPad be capable of running the current version of iPadOS available from Apple. https://www.apple.com/au/iPadOS lists devices supported by Apple. Generally, Apple provide updates to devices for about five to six years. If you start off with a three to four year old second-hand device in Year 3, then you will most likely need to replace it with another before the student finishes Year 6.
2. Join the Student Resource Scheme and pay $250/year to access a school iPad whilst at school (this includes apps, system management costs, hire of the device, case, screen protector provided by the school). The iPad remains at school.
3. Access an equity fleet. (This option is for families experiencing financial hardship. Please ring the office to make an appointment with the Business Manager to discuss this option if required.)
Required Apps for Year 3 to Year 6 BYO iPads for 2021
A separate Apple ID should be created for each student. Please use Family Sharing to create a child Apple ID as this will allow total control over app purchases. If this is the only Apple device in your home still go through the process of setting up Family sharing. Once complete, sign out the Family Organiser and then sign in under the Child Apple ID. App purchases can then be approved by selecting "Approve in Person".
To assist with the management of both school owned and BYO devices the department is using Intune, a Mobile Device Management Platform. Intune will automatically configure Wi-Fi, OneDrive, Outlook, OneNote and Email apps. This will save parents, teachers and students a great deal of time with the initial setup of the iPad. The Intune app will also show the free school apps that need to be downloaded for each year level. There will be no more hunting the App Store to find the correct apps.
Before starting the Intune set up process:
- Know your child's school email address and password. Please email the classroom teacher or the School's System Technician if unknown.
- Set a passcode – minimum of four digits. Any passcode restrictions (now found within screen time section) may need to be turned off to enable the Intune App to correctly identify that a passcode has been set.
- It is recommended that the name of the iPad be changed to only the first name followed by the initial of your surname – Class name. e.g. "Jane D – 3A". On the iPad go to Settings/General/About/Name
Follow the steps in the instructional video: https://mediasite.eq.edu.au/mediasite/Play/bbe46710d2c24274a0a99cba446a92031d
- The student should open email and OneDrive apps and verify they are connected to the @eq.edu.au school accounts.
- Open the Files App and add OneDrive to the list of available locations.
- Under Settings for the apps Pages, Keynote, Numbers, iMovie set the default storage location to OneDrive instead of iCloud. For Safari remove iCloud as the download location
- Under Settings/Mail, change default Account to School Email if you have multiple email accounts.
- Install the apps listed in the comp portal app. Parents that have previously installed a school app under their own Apple ID will be prompted to allow management if they choose to re-install that same app from the Intune Company Portal. You can either allow management or cancel to continue to self-manage the app and data.